Purpose- Valium is used to treat anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms, or muscle spasms. Valium is sometimes used with other medications to treat seizures. Valium may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Side Effects- You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking diazepam:
- Shakiness and unsteady walk
- Unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
Incidence not known:
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Black, tarry stools
- Blistering, flaking, or peeling of skin
- Blurred vision
- Changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
How To Use- You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to diazepam or similar drugs (Ativan, Klonopin, Restoril, Xanax, and others), or if you have:
- Myasthenia gravis (a muscle weakness disorder);
- Severe liver disease;
- A severe breathing problem;
- Sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep); or
- Alcoholism, or addiction to drugs similar to diazepam.